After upgrading to Windows 10, you may notice a problem with spacing between the icons on the desktop, and you may try to fix this issue by messing around settings. Still, unfortunately, there is no control provided over icon spacing in Windows 10. Thankfully, a registry tweak helps you change the default value of icon spacing in Windows 10 to your desired value, but there are some limits to which this value can be changed. The upper limit is -2730, and the lower limit is -480, so the value of icon spacing should only be between these limits.
Sometimes if the value is too low, then the icons become unavailable on the desktop, which creates a problem as you won’t be able to use shortcut icons or any file or folder on the desktop. This is a very annoying problem that can only be solved by increasing the value of icon spacing in Registry. Without wasting any time, let’s see How to Change Desktop Icon Spacing in Windows 10 with the below-listed methods.
How to Change Desktop Icon Spacing in Windows 10
Make sure to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong.
1. Press Windows Key + R then type regedit and hit Enter to open Registry Editor.
2. Navigate to the following registry key:
3. Now make sure WindowsMetrics is highlighted in the left window pane and the right window find IconSpacing.
4. Double-click on it to change its default value from -1125. Note: You could choose any value between -480 to -2730, where -480 represents the minimum spacing, and -2780 represents the maximum spacing.
5. If you need to change the vertical spacing, then double click on IconVerticalSpacing and change its value between -480 to -2730.
6. Click OK to save changes and close Registry Editor.
7.Reboot your PC and the icon spacing will be modified.
- Fix VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (ATIKMPAG.SYS)
- Fix Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them .
- How to Fix Windows Stuck on Splash Screen
- Show or Hide Folder Merge Conflicts in Windows 10
That’s it you have successfully learned How to Change Desktop Icon Spacing in Windows 10 if you still have any questions regarding this guide then feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.